BA in Communication Arts / Radio & Television
The educational objectives of the RTV undergraduate program, a few years after graduation, are as follows:
- Graduates would be creative and talented; and, able to fully meet the requirements of the media industries.
- Graduates would demonstrate an advanced understanding of the business elements of production, production management, intellectual property rights and issues, financing, marketing and distribution.
- Graduates would strong research, writing, reporting and storytelling skills that are appropriate to professional expectations in broadcast journalism or documentary filmmaking.
- Graduates would analyze current news and documentary market conditions and business models and then evaluate the marketability and viability of their skills and work within that market.
- Graduates would use technology and other craft areas – cinematography, videography, sound, editing – to enhance the stories they choose to pursue as these stories are developed from scripts and interviews to complete, visually compelling narratives.
- Graduates would work in a professional, collaborative environment appropriate to broadcast news or documentary filmmaking, either on location or in the studio.
- Graduates would exhibit an understanding of the fundamental components of visual storytelling, story structure and story analysis.
- Graduates would articulate the various functions and roles on a film set, and demonstrate their ability to work collaboratively within that structure.
- Graduates would demonstrate technical proficiency in a specific filmmaking discipline (Directing, Editing, Cinematography, Sound Design, Producing, Production Design)